Today we receive considerably less paper mail than ever, but people still struggle to control the influx of letters, bills and publications. I recently met with 2 different clients who possessed significant stacks of unopened mail. I get it – it just isn’t fun to investigate what is inside a sealed envelop now that we communicate our triumphs, tribulations and vacation greetings all from our phone.
Like most accumulated clutter, mail not dealt with is delayed decision making.
This is a small list that should make a big impact on those potential piles of paper:
1) GO PAPERLESS! not even going to justify this, just do it.
2) set up AUTO DEBIT on all accounts: credit cards, insurance, utilities
3) open mail over a paper recycling bin – do this before bringing the mail inside your home
4) CATALOG CHOICE is a service that contacts merchants directly to prevent further mailings
5) PAPER KARMA is an app that works like Catalog Choice by removing the name/address from distribution lists
6) photograph postcards & mailers for events that you are considering attending but aren’t fully committed, then toss the original in the trash
By applying these recommendations, you won’t be absolved of opening your mail, but what will be left are party invitations, birthday cards and perhaps an elusive handwritten note.